Tuesday, March 15, 2011

the baby weight

I've been trying various things over the last few months to lose about 20 lbs of weight. A few of the pounds are baby-related, but most was from before the baby - my philosophy then was "well i'm going to get fat anyway, so might as well just let myself go." Boy this was a mistake... I really think that my unhealthy/overweight body was not as well equipped for pregnancy as it would have been if I would have been stronger and leaner. I could be wrong, but that is my hunch.

I was talking to a friend of mine that I sing with at church about how she lost weight after she had her baby. She brought in her book on Eating Clean, and I've been reading/dabbling in it for the last two days. Generally the principles of Eating Clean are 6 meals a day with components like lots of lean protein, paired with complex carbohydrates in vegetables and fruit. Nuts, lean meats, lots of eggs, etc. And TONS of water (like 3+ liters) She really talks about eating "real" clean foods, cutting out a lot of the processed stuff. Obviously, this is hard for me. However, the thing I like about it is that it doesn't make me cut carbs completely, in fact the breakfast is my favorite meal by far, a large cup of hearty and healthy organic oats, with wheat germ, flaxseed mixed in, and mixed berries or various fruit to top it. Then one whole egg and 4 egg whites (prepared however) for the protein. I can't eat that many eggs so I've just been doing 1 egg and mixing 2 whites. Anyway - you can still eat healthy dairy in moderation, and I'm learning about things like almond butter and soybeans. The other decent thing is that most of these foods are good for chloe to eat too, so we're both eating healthier at once and she's experiencing some new foods. It's truly exhausting though as I'm moving away from baby jar foods and giving her more healthy table foods. Sigh. Anyway... enough of that.

The first day was exciting, energizing and motivating. Overall I felt great and really pumped. I drank all my water (peeing like a racehorse, which is actually very hard for me since the bathroom is upstairs and every time i leave chloe alone for a moment in the living room she has a crying fit) I went to the store and stocked up on spinach, lean chicken, almond butter, wheat germ, flaxseed, tuna (which I hate), frozen mixed veggies (it's almost impossible for me to keep fresh veggies in the house without most of them going bad since brian doesn't eat them, plus this is much more convenient for me as a busy mom of a 1 year old!), frozen/fresh fruit, greek yogurt, soybeans, sweet potatoes, etc.

I'm at the end of day two and it's already getting harder. Brian had a bagel for a snack and I wanted it so badly. I am missing my sweets/white carbs, pop tarts, etc. a lot. I'm sick of water already. I'm also feeling the effects digestively too from eating so much more fiber, protein and veggies. That's all I will say. But I believe that will pass. The food I'm eating is good, and I'm not going to the letter, or else I'd have to cook 2 separate meals on the nights Brian's home, and that's just not happening. But I just miss the convenience of the things I was eating before. But I know I was letting myself get so dehydrated, and so hungry, so I know that this schedule of eating, and these foods are really really so good for me in every way.

I did get a short work-out in today too, but I know I need to increase that as much as I can, especially lifting weights, resistance training.

So... anyway.... that's all. Going to keep it up. Hopefully I'll start seeing some changes and can stay motivated to keep going. Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

E said...

I FEEL YOU GIRL!!! I have never been pregnant but since I have been a mom....boom TEN EXTRA pounds!! I am going to look into that book...thanks!

amy grace said...

yay, rachie! stay motivated! you are my motivator too! hopefully once this month ends (because then i can go get bunches of healthy foods again) i can start being more focused. in the meantime for me - portion control, no sweets, rice instead of potatoes...or veggies instead of potatoes! love you!

Blythe said...

Great job so far!
The food choices and tons of water sound so smart! Could you put lemon in the water to break up the monotony?

Christie Lee said...

Excited for you! I will do my best to not be a stumbling block. Definitely put lemon or lime or both in your water. :)

*kc said...

Good Luck! Sounds like you are doing well so far. Although, I can't believe the book wants you to eat oats/wheat germ AND all those eggs. That seems like SO much!

Laura Gruner said...

Good for you Rachel! Stick with it! All the yucky stuff will pass and not only will be healthier but you'll have tons more energy :) Speaking from experience here! Looking forward to hearing more about it and I'm definitely going to look into the book! Thanks for posting about it.

Unknown said...

Right here with you Rachel! (Only I have 40 pounds to lose...)

I'm down 11 since January 1st, but it is Sloooooow going!

Cannot wait for nicer weather so I can get out for more regular exercise!