Monday, January 11, 2010

intercostal neuritis

That is my diagnosis of all the upper abdominal/chest pain that I have been having for over 2 months. The burning, stretching, tingling, screaming pain that is now preventing me from doing things, sitting for long, standing for long, stretching to high, basically anything and everything. The midwife/chiropractor believes it is a compressed or pinched nerve in the area between the ribs, caused by out of place ribs and causing all the radiating pain. Truthfully, there's not that much information about it on the internet, so I'm not sure it's very common problem

I'm getting chiropractic care now - but I'm not convinced it's the whole problem because the pain seems more central and close to my skin. And after 3 treatments I'm seeing no improvement. In fact Sunday was the worst day I've ever had and I almost couldn't sing the second set of songs at 11:00. I don't know. It's too late for any sort of nerve block injections or anything like that because baby is too high up. Sometimes her little feet hit me in the area of the pain - which doesn't make it any better or worse. I try ice occasionally and it feels good while on it but doesn't last long. I can't take any anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen during pregnancy.

Anyway ... there's an update for anyone who might be interested. If you could lift up some prayer for me, I would really appreciate it. It's very frustrating and overwhelming to feel so helpless and in pain so often. I know my baby is worth it and I will of course persevere but I would love some relief from this! And at least knowing that it will go away once the baby is born, that would be some good knowledge too - but you never know... with these things there is no guarantee!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Rach, I'm so sorry you are in such pain.Lifting you,Brian and Baby Girl in prayer.
Luv you

Kristie said...

Wow Rachel, this sounds horribly uncomfortable. I noticed you were missing for the last song and asked Rob as soon as he came out if you went into labor or something! Does it hurt to breathe too? By the way, your voice sounds extra good lately...i'm surprised you can get enough air to sing with that baby in there!

Molly said...

Oh I am so sorry! I've never heard of that before, but I'm not surprised. This pregnancy thing is one surprise after another! Hoping you feel better xoxo

Christi Rupp said...

rach...it sounds like what i had...and sadly there is nothing you can do...to me..it was such an intense pain that it took my breath away...as hard as it was..i just tried not to think abt it,, the more i thought abt it the worse i felt..i coulnt sit in the same position longer then a half hour...on top of throwing up the whole 9 months...welcome to motherhood! haha! its all worth it rach n remember,,,God never gives you more then you can handle ;) yes you have it alot worse then alot of women,,,but you also have it alot better then alot of women! it could be much worse...you could be really sick..be thankful you aren't and i will b prayin for you,,,but...its just a part of the process...and the bigger your little girl gets.. the worse you are gonna feel. t ry to enjoy her every movement...its kind of sad after you have the baby, you miss feeing her movements inside of you! xoxo

Emily Althof Robertson said...

my heart goes out to you. i had my own set of issues during pregnancy. it wasn't easy but well worth it. i will be praying lots for you.