Wednesday, September 29, 2010

bumps & bruises



Over the last few weeks, Chloe has begun taking the first of what everyone tells me, many, tumbles. Before we left for Myrtle Beach, I was packing the suitcase on the bed, and Chloe was up there with me. She is now a rolling pro, but I still didn't think she could roll THAT fast. I did what every book tells you not to do, and the thing I rarely EVER do, I walked out of the room while she was on the bed, in the middle surrounded by quilts. Just outside the room after about 10 seconds, I heard the most sickening thud. Then the worst crying and screaming I'd heard from Chloe yet. My heart went from my chest to my toes and I was awash with adrenaline. I ran in to swoop her up, calmly looked her over for injuries and felt her head, then held and comforted her. I quietly took her downstairs while saying "it's ok, I love you, I'm so sorry" and put her in her carseat, almost forgetting her binky, and put her in the car with shaking arms and drove her to the ER. She ended up being completely and totally fine - not even a bump on her! But it was very scary and I felt completely responsible and like a TERRIBLE mother and horribly irresponsible. I now know that this little baby is so fast, and doesn't know her own strength and speed.

On Sunday, when I was walking into church with Chloe on one hip and two bags on the other shoulder, I somehow (still don't really get it) tripped over the curp and fell down on the cement. I honestly don't know how I landed, I just know my body tried to protect Chloe from the fall somehow but she still did bump her head and got a small bruise above her eye. There were many people around which was good and bad. I thrust her into some amazing and helpful man's arms so I could get up (I stil don't know who it was but I want to thank him) and then a variety of people swarmed around me to see if she was ok. I was humiliated and felt horrible and was so scared about how bad that could have been. I believe I definitely took the brunt of that fall, I have a really bad scab and bruise on my elbow and knee and some brushburn on my hand. It really could have been so much worse.

The thought of Chloe getting hurt and me being responsible or not able to protect her is a tough one to deal with, but things will happen despite my best intentions. I have never known love like the love I have for my daughter. Everyone says it, but it is different, it is powerful. Marital and romantic love is beautiful and amazing, but different. I can't explain the need and urge to protect Chloe. It started while she was inside me and I was terrified of doing anything to harm her then.

My little Chlo-bear... she is my angel.






5 comments:

amy grace said...

these pictures are absolutely beautiful. i feel like i haven't seen her in weeks (even though i saw her last sunday...) but she looks so much bigger in these!!!!!

you're a great mommy! we're just clutzy ;)

Kelli said...

You are such a good Momma! And I totally know that over-powering feeling to protect your children.
And you are not a bad mom.. I think everyone has a story of putting the baby on the bed and then having them roll to the floor- I hate to admit that I did it with my first baby- twice! Like the tragic-ness of the 1st time wasn't enough so I had to re-live it!

Anonymous said...

Aw, sorry about your accidents. :( From everything I've seen and read, though, I can tell you are doing an awesome job and you have a happy healthy baby girl! I'm so happy to see pictures of your daughter and see how well you guys are doing. :)

This is not related to that post, but something I saw on your twitter and I'm responding here. Do you know the blog Making It Lovely? She's a work-from-home mama too, and I remember seeing a while back on her blog about how she has an assistent that comes a few days a week for a few hours in the morning and either helps her with projects or watches the baby for a few hours. You should seriously consider it! http://makingitlovely.com/2010/03/31/a-day-in-the-life/

Anne said...

Don't worry so much my dear. It's part of a baby to stumble sometimes now that she is trying to walk. You have a beautiful daughter.

Early Pregnancy Symptoms

Unknown said...

Everyone has said already, but those things just happen, Rachel! You are a good mommy and when push comes to shove you will do everything you can to protect your little girl. (But bumps and bruises are just part of growing up. I know you know that!)

Aaron fell off of our bed TWICE as an infant. AARON! (The one of my 3 who needs my protection most?) One time he was sleeping right next to me on the bed (ha ha, right, sleeping in bed with me.....) and rolled right off onto the floor! *sigh* Now they intentionally climb onto the back of the couch and jump off. Trying to give me cardiac arrest, I tell you!

Lauren hasn't had a bump like that yet, but I'm certain it will happen.

I'm sorry you fell, too. :-( I'm glad you're both ok, though!

Keep up the good work. Chloe is so sweet! I really can't wait to meet her in person. (((HUGS)))