Tuesday, February 23, 2010

38 Weeks

My dear grandfather Koos passed away on Monday morning. He was at peace and resting comfortably. I really thought he might make it to meet Chloe... but it was not in God's timing. One life ends and another begins... it really is that way. I know he and my grandma are looking down on me. The funeral home is tomorrow from 3-8 at Duskas by church and then the funeral is thursday morning. I don't think it has really hit any of us or will until all that formality starts tomorrow and then is over next week, especially for his dear children (my mother, uncle, and aunt) who have been tirelessly caring for him for the last 10 months, and for my grandmother for the last year or two before that. Papa I will miss you so much. I wish I had had more conversations with you and we had known each other even better. You were incredible! You and grandma touched SO many lives its unbelievable! Give grandma hugs and kisses for me in heaven. I miss her so much.

-------

38 Weeks

Your baby has really plumped up, weighing close to seven pounds and measuring 20 inches long. (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb. Fetal development is nearly complete as your baby tends to a few last-minute details like shedding the skin-protecting vernix and lanugo. He's also producing more surfactant, a substance that prevents the air sacs in his lungs from sticking to one another once he starts to breathe.

Meanwhile, your body is tending to its own final touches before the big day, one of which is getting that milk machine up and running. For many women, the next couple of weeks are a waiting game. Use this time to prepare your baby's nursery or to take care of necessary tasks you may not get around to for a while after your baby's born. Take naps, catch up on your reading, and spend uninterrupted time with your partner while you can.

-----------------

wait wait wait. that is where my mind is. patience. enjoy it. take every day to the fullest. spend time in quiet rest now. pay attention to chloe and her movements. she is with you now. these are all things I tell myself.

Here is me, Chloe & my belly at 38 weeks. I kind of hope this is the last stomach shot I take! The big bump where my stomach really juts out at the top of the bump above the doorknob is her butt and feet. They are often shifting, coming out at weird angles and pushing. It is such an odd sensation and looks craaazy from up above. She is very strong and her body does things I don't understand! I am just along for the ride it seems :)

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I was going to say something else but Chinese character dude nailed it right on the head. Amen Chinese character dude, amen.

Also, I'm really sorry I have to be out of town this week.

Anonymous said...

1. Your grandparents were awesome. We got to know them when we both lived on Taggert Street, and they'd walk or drive up and down from your Aunt Mary's house on Woodlawn. I remember they both had Hondas. My parents are gonna try to get to the funeral home tomorrow.
2. Your skin looks AMAZING in that photo on your blog! Enjoy all those crazy kung fu moves she's doing in there---I already forgot what they felt like, and Dominic's only 3 months! :o)

Diane Alibaruho

*Stace* said...

that made me tear up about your papa! i'm so sorry! :-(

and then it made my heart race when I was reading about how your baby is ready to come out! so exciting!

casey k said...

So sorry about your Papa, I have a friend is about to give birth and just lost her father, your statement about life is so true..


Your belly looks amazing and this is so exciting I can hardly handle it! I can't wait to meet Chloe!